These chickpea poppers are a fantastic snack or a light meal with a mango smoothie, a side salad of cucumber and tomato, a tabouli salad piled onto lettuce leaves or all of the above.
- Drain and rinse two cans of chickpeas (garbanzos)
- Spread the chickpeas to dry on two cookie sheets lined with absorbent paper towels
- Cover with another layer of paper towels and set aside for 1 to 3 hours
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper and transfer the chickpeas to the sheets, removing the paper towels
- Roast for 10 minutes
- Stir the chickpeas and rotate the pans
- Roast for an additional 15 minutes
Meanwhile, prepare the spicy sauce by adding to 2 – 3 Tablespoons olive oil the following spices and herbs: cumin, paprika, cayenne, thyme, salt; blend
- When the timer dings, remove chickpeas and coat evenly with sauce
- Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and season with additional salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Serve! We eat these at least once a week. Mmmmmm.
Feeling daring? Experiment with other spices and flavors.